[Sca-cooks] [OOP] KitchenAid question

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sun Feb 5 16:05:04 PST 2006

At 03:03 PM 2/5/2006,Volker Bach said something like:
>Hi
>
>I assume that a collection of such avid cooks as you will include a number of
>KitchenAid owners who can help me here. I was given the full set of fruit
>press, veggie grater and meat grinder attachments by my mother (insert happy
>hamster dance), and I'm wondering if either the grinder or the grater are
>suitable for making nut butter / almond paste. Will the grinder stand up to
>being fed almonds? Peanuts? Sesame seeds? Is the grater disc fine enough to
>powder almonds?
>
>Any advice appreciated
>
>Giano

I have the vegetable slicer, and the meat grinder.

I _once_ tried to grind coffee beans with the meat grinder. It was very
bad, and very ugly, and luckily nothing broke.  The entire affair seized up
and made bad noises.  Perhaps if I had turned it on then proceeded to feed
in the beans it would have turned out better?  (I had poured them in, then
flipped it on).  I've done bread crumbs with _very_ dry bread in the meat
grinder, and it was alright, but I wouldn't do very much or for very
long.  The one experiment with a non-stale bread to do crumbs was a bad
experience too, it started seizing up and making very bad noises. I don't
know if sesame seeds would be such a good idea though, there's so little
moisture in them, that I'd be afraid of things getting seized up and/or
overheating.  Peanut butter sounds like something best done in a food
processor in the cuisinart style, and the same with sesame seeds.

That being said, there's so very many other things you can do with those
attachments.  Imagine 50 lbs of onions needing to be sliced for a feast,
that slicer will go through them so quickly that you'll not even have a
chance to get teared up (much).  I've made sausages for 150 at feast (two
kinds) from scratch, using that meat grinder.  Grinding the meat was a
breeze, but stuffing the sausages with the add-on tip wasn't very fun, it
was just too slow for that. I ended up doing a McGyver thing with a hand
cranked meat grinder and a special made tip, that made the whole affair go
much more quickly.

Enjoy it!
Maggie