[Sca-cooks] Foods for Begining SCA Cooks

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 9 12:23:46 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2006 18:59 schrieb SilverR0se at aol.com:
> Hello, the List!
>
> This coming April I will be teaching a class in Caid's Collegium called
> "Getting Started in Historical Cooking."
>
> I thought that I might bring some samples of Medieval and Rennaissance food
> for the class.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for good foods to introduce to newbies?
> The recipes must be able to be made the night before and served room
> temperature or cold.

Most of what comes to mind are sweets (marzipans, hais, various nut/honey/
sugar confections, fruit or nut purees, cookies or sweet pies).

You might want to consider a cold cut of meat with various sauces
(honey-mustard, tart cherry sauce, lemon sauce, green herb-vinegar sauce or
similar - I don't like Cameline cold, but some do).

Pastries can be good, but honestly, I can't think of any that are really yummy
cold. I'm not a brilliant pastrycook, though, so maybe someone else can help
you more here.

How far back are you willing to go? Perversely, Roman cold dishes often look a
lot more attractive and 'modern' to the uninitiated than medieval ones. I've
found that herb-garlic-cheese (moretum), olive relish (epityrum), goat
cheese, beet salad with mustard dressing and various veggies with vinegar are
very popular sered at room temperature in summer, and honey cakes like the
placenta, erneum and globi still do well cool.

Giano