[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Feb 17 08:37:21 PST 2006

Hi, Christianna! I've been wondering what other folks are planning on doing
for Lent, as well, this year, but keep forgetting to post something about
it! ;o)
Last year, it being my first try at such a thing, I just did a Medieval
Lenten Diet during Holy Week, which got fairly interesting, because I was
horribly ill with the flu, and wanting things like chicken soup. ;o) It was
a great learning experience, though, and one that I'm going to repeat this
year, with some additions.  So, this year Maire is:
Keeping a dairy/meat free Lent the whole 40 days, but only during Holy Week
will I be using Medieval recipes.  The rest of the season, I'm going to feel
free to experiment with modern recipes that contain fish, grains, fruit,
etc.  I'm hoping that next year, I'll be able to do the whole 40 days
medievally.  Right now, I can't afford all the fish, which is inordinately
expensive in my part of the world (not near any seaports, etc.).  I'm using
my experiences from last year, and this year, to build a base of workable
recipes. ;o)
My persona is 14th century Irish (from Dublin), so I'm using recipes from
English texts of the same time period (there being no Irish recipes from
that time, that I'm aware of).
What will make this extra-interesting this year is that our barony's annual
Spring Feast (and A&S Competition) falls within the Lenten season, so I'll
have to bring my own food. <g>
--Maire, in sub-zero Artemisia [it's frickin' *cold* out there!],looking
forward to the challenge