[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent....

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 08:10:46 PST 2006

<snip>
...  On the other hand, Lent will be upon us soon, might try out those
sausages on my friends.
<snip>
Best,
Dame Selene Colfox

	I was thinking about this last week.  Who's up for the Lenten
Food Challenge this year?  I have been on a cleanse for the last month,
so going to a Lenten fast will be fairly easy.  I just have to do
something else besides all that fish!  It was a real learning experience
for me last year.  I teach persona-building classes, and I was able to
say that after one week on a Lenten diet, I was incredibly tired of
fish, and I love fish!  It gave me a glimpse of what my persona must
have felt like after 40 days!
	As I recall, we had folks approach it from different aspects
last year.  Some did the whole time period (bless them), some like me
did the week right before Easter.  Some did completely period menus,
some avoided obvious new world foods but didn't do all period foods, and
some simply avoided prohibited foods and ate sushi and Mexican etc.  (I
think I fell somewhere between the last two.)  I seem to recall Urtatim
even managed to follow a Christian Lenten diet from the Middle East, and
run a food competition at an event!  I did like the whitefish blancmange
I made, I will probably do that again this year.
	So, who's up for walking a mile in our ancestor's shoes?  (Or
should that be eating for a week with our ancestor's stomachs?)
	  Christianna