[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent....

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 17 19:20:25 PST 2006

'Lainie wrote:
>Well, I'm planning to give up meat during Lent. And chocolate. I don't eat
>a whole lot of meat anymore, so the lack of chocolate will hurt more. :-/)
>And I'm planning to go all out and cut the eggs and dairy for the week
>before Easter, like I did last year. Should be a little easier to do, being
>as we won't have the kitchen offline (last year we were replacing the
>flooring that week). I am not much of a fish eater, so I'll have to be
>creative. And I found last year that I don't especially care for almond
>milk in my tea, so I'll have to figure that out too. But I do plan to
>explore more of the fast recipes from COI and the 2 15th c Cookery Books
>(my texts of choice).
>
>Does anyone know if you can make yogurt or a yogurt substitute from almond
>milk?

Here's a recipe i found. Caveat One: I've never tried it. Caveat Two:
It's a bit "woo-woo", but i think it's worth a shot, which is why i
saved it...

ALMOND YOGURT

2 cups sprouted almonds, blanched (see Glossary)
12 oz. filtered water (or Rejuvelac)

1) Put the sprouted almonds into a blender with the water (or
Rejuvelac) and blend to a fine cream.

2) Pour the cream into a muslin bag and squeeze out all the liquid.
You should have approx. 10 oz.
Put this liquid into a wide- mouth glass jar, cover with muslin or
cheesecloth and let it sit at room temperature for 8 hours.
The yogurt will separate from the whey, which stays on the bottom of the jar.

3) When done, put the jar into the refrigerator and let it solidify more.
To serve, scoop out the yogurt from the top CAREFULLY, so as not to
mix the yogurt with the whey.

Makes approximately 6 oz. of yogurt.

Keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

When storing all nut and seed yogurts, keep them in the same glass
jar that you made them in, but when screwing on the top, leave it
loose. In other words; do not screw the top on tight. This lets in a
little air circulation and doesn't build up any pressure in the jar
and the yogurt lasts longer.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita