[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent....

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Feb 18 15:58:13 PST 2006

At 07:55 AM 2/18/2006, you wrote:

>What *is* "Rejuvelac?"
>--maire, scratching head...
>
>A staple of the raw foodists diets.  Here is one recipe, although there
>are others, they are all very similar:
>

>Rejuvelac
>from Ann Wigmore Institute Kitchen.
>Mary Forest Finnell, ND,. MH, LMT,
>
>2 cups soft wheat berries
>wide-mouthed mason jar
>
>1.Soak in purified water 8 hrs or overnight.
>2.Drain, rinse, then allow to sprout for 2 days, without rinsing.
>3. When white sprout tails begin to show, add 6 cups purified
>water, cover jar with cheesecloth, put in a warm place
>where it can be exposed to at least 70 degree temp for
>2 days.
>4. THEN pour off, drink or refriderate or use "rejuvelac"   in a recipe.
>5. The leftover seeds can be used one more time, with 4c. purified
>water, will culture in 1 day. Then seeds can be composted, or thrown to
>birds.
>
>Caveats-
>do not drink soak water. Seeds Must sprout.

Eeeeyuw!
Hat to say it, but that sounds pretty ghastly! I can imagine how it smells. :-P

I don't think I could last long as a raw-foodie. I like my food killed and
cooked, generally. And that seems to have been the medieval aesthetic too.
Let's hear it for 'seething'!

'Lainie
"The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those
who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have
little."    ­ Franklin Delano Roosevelt