[Sca-cooks] Lenten ideas for non Christians...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 20:53:22 PST 2006

On 2/18/06 8:32 PM, "Radei Drchevich" <radei at moscowmail.com> wrote:

> Lent for non-Christians?  Isn't that like Oxegen for Methane-breathers?
>
> joy
> radei

That does sound counter-intuitive, doesn't it?  But [1] Maire is putting
some real effort into her SCA persona and that's worthy of praise.  I'm one
of the very few Caidans that even seems to notice Lent, far less incorporate
it into food planning for events - and I didn't grow up Christian in any
way, Jewish family and all.  It's all about really trying to look through
Medieval eyes. [2] The winter sleep before the stirring of springtime is a
good time for meditation on the cycle of life... Um, come to think of it,
isn't Maire in Australia though?  I've never been sure what antipodean
religeux [in any faith!] do to resolve the disconnect between traditional
feast days and reversed seasons.  Obviously Christmas is weird but the rest
must be just as hard to deal with.  Easter, Passover or Beltaine at fall
harvest time, hmmmm.

Thoughtfully, Selene C.