[Sca-cooks] Lenten ideas for non Christians...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Feb 18 21:12:30 PST 2006

At 08:53 PM 2/18/2006, you wrote:
>On 2/18/06 8:32 PM, "Radei Drchevich" <radei at moscowmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lent for non-Christians?  Isn't that like Oxegen for Methane-breathers?
> >
> > joy
> > radei
>
>That does sound counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

Nahhh... ;-)

>  But [1] Maire is putting
>some real effort into her SCA persona and that's worthy of praise.  I'm one
>of the very few Caidans that even seems to notice Lent, far less incorporate
>it into food planning for events - and I didn't grow up Christian in any
>way, Jewish family and all.

I grew up in various fundamentalist churches- no Lenten observation, other
than the little kids waving construction-paper palms on Palm Sunday. My
parents thought Catholics were idolatrous, so most of medieval Christian
practice was completely off the map.

>   It's all about really trying to look through
>Medieval eyes.

YES! And I think that this sort of thing could be SO eye-opening for so
many SCAdians, to actually get a bit of a feel for something that was so
big a part of daily life! I've simply been trying to get a grip on what
daily sort of observances Elaine might have made in 1406- Lenten observance
is over and above that. But 40 days is more than a tenth of the year- a
pretty important chunk of it. Can we really understand medieval life
without it?

>  [2] The winter sleep before the stirring of springtime is a
>good time for meditation on the cycle of life... Um, come to think of it,
>isn't Maire in Australia though?

Nope! She's in Artemisia! (Montana)

Interesting thought though- the opposition of Lent and Easter and the
autumn Down Under...

Frankly, I'm really ready for spring to come...

'Lainie, tired of winter
"The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those
who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have
little."    ­ Franklin Delano Roosevelt