[Sca-cooks] An interesting proposal...

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 19 00:55:27 PST 2006

Am Sonntag, 19. Februar 2006 03:20 schrieb otsisto:
> Brainstormin' here
> Apple cider. not sure if period but apples are.

Gretman literature as far back as the 13th c knows something called
"epfeldranc/epheldranc" which translates as 'apple drink'. This is usually
assumed to have been a form of fermented cider. Unfortunately, no recipes I
am aware of survive, and interestiongly, by the later 15th century (when we
get instructions) the fermented beverage made from apples is known as 'apple
wine'. The only recipe for any 'dranc' that I know of makes a syrup.

Make of it what you will, but apples used for making *some* kind of beverage
are period. I'm guessing it's fermentd.

Giano