[Sca-cooks] fruit juice syrups

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 21 08:17:31 PST 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 07:22 schrieb Stefan li Rous:
> Giano mentioned:
>
> Am Sonntag, 19. Februar 2006 03:20 schrieb otsisto:
>  > Brainstormin' here
>  > Apple cider. not sure if period but apples are.
>
> Gretman literature as far back as the 13th c knows something called
> "epfeldranc/epheldranc" which translates as 'apple drink'. This is
> usually
> assumed to have been a form of fermented cider. Unfortunately, no
> recipes I
> am aware of survive, and interestingly, by the later 15th century
> (when we
> get instructions) the fermented beverage made from apples is known as
> 'apple
> wine'. The only recipe for any 'dranc' that I know of makes a syrup.
>
> Make of it what you will, but apples used for making *some* kind of
> beverage
> are period. I'm guessing it's fermented.
> <<<
>
> So, why are you guessing it's fermented? You seem to be making a
> pretty good argument that there might indeed have been some non-
> alcoholic beverages in period Europe. It is my understanding that
> once you concentrate the fruit juice enough, that it creates and
> enviornment that neither the bad stuff or the good, fermenting sort
> of beasties will grow. This is why honey and sekanjaban syrup will
> keep, until diluted.

I think it is fermented because it fits the pattern (ale is fermented, beer is
fermented, wine is fermented...) and because by the time we have firmer data,
apple wine (a fermented drink) is a mass market product. I think it's just a
case of an earlier practice continuing, and a new name being used.

At the same time, I'm not convinced that *all* apple-based beverages were
fermented. Just the majority.

> It would be nice to know if there are any other references to "dranc"
> in the medieval German literature. I'm not sure we have to have a
> recipe for this "dranc". If it shows up in some literature of a
> drunken brawl, then it is likely alcoholic. Is there something like
> the OED for German?

There is, the 'Grimmsches Wörterbuch' (yes, the same as the fairy tale guys).
I even bought a CD copy, but can't currently run it, so checking isn't going
to be that easy. But I have this whole 'dranc' thing on the back burner.

Unfortunately, 'dranc' according to my Middle High German dictionary means
'beerage', 'drink' and 'potion', so mentions will be many. I think the main
item of interest will be the compound form (something-drancs).

If i find the time, or can convince some to let me do 'Medieval German
Foodways' as a PhD :-)

Giano