[Sca-cooks] Bread machine revisited...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 26 11:21:53 PST 2006

Given the caveat that I have never used a bread machine, let me make a
couple of suggestions.

You might try cutting the yeast in half, slowing the rise.  Bread machines
use about twice the amount of yeast and twice the salt handbakers do.  I've
made salt free bread and never found much appreciable difference in the rise
between salted and unsalted bread, so the quantity and potency of
breadmachine yeast probably contributes to the problems with salt free
bread.

Subtract 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour from the recipe and make a very
soft sponge with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of yeast.  Let the sponge stand for at
least four hours before using it.  Break the sponge into the liquor before
blending.  Making a sponge should produce a more even and less explosive
rise even without salt.

I'll check the library to see if I have any recipes.

Bear