[Sca-cooks] killing Rosemary

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 04:43:06 PST 2006

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> Our sage has pretty well taken over the narrow bed next to the
> driveway, and we never have to buy sage for holiday baking!
>
> But the rosemary?...
>
> The rosemary bush is now approaching the size of a VW Bug. We call it
> the Horta. There's some morning glory trying to sneak through and
> strangle it, but the Horta just laughs it off. We have no idea why it
> is flourishing so- it's planted next to the garage, in ratty soil with
> various bits of neighborhood history in it (I understand from Regina
> that when she had the backyard dug up and new grass planted, there was
> all kings of misc bits of broken glass, etc- typical stuff you dig up
> on a city lot). But the Horta likes it there, apparently. If I didn't
> know better, I'd say Hagrid had been back there with his pink
> umbrella, giving the Horta some 'encouragement'... ;-D)
>
> 'Lainie

That's what my friend's rosemary bush is like.  The only thing that
finally killed it was when they dug it up after they had their house
fumigated...the plant had absorbed nasties from the fumigation making it
unsafe for human consumption.  Even after that, a sprout returned from
some root stock they missed!  It is one of the most determined plants
I've ever encountered...short of the lemon mint I accidentally planted
in the yard of our old house.

Wish I could get one to grow.  Sigh.  I'll probably try again this
summer.  I figure that one of these days, it'll be my turn.

Kiri