[Sca-cooks] killing Rosemary

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 28 00:22:40 PST 2006

At 12:05 AM 2/28/2006, you wrote:
>Umm.... I have yet to have a chance to harvest. I have been told that you
>should wait a full year after planting to let it establish itself.
>I have yet to have one survive a full year.
>Now my sage has established itself and is becoming the neighborhood shrub
>whether my neighbors want it or not.
>I have been told to plant the rosemary in a pot  and bring it in for the
>winter....it died. :P

Our sage has pretty well taken over the narrow bed next to the driveway,
and we never have to buy sage for holiday baking!

But the rosemary?...

The rosemary bush is now approaching the size of a VW Bug. We call it the
Horta. There's some morning glory trying to sneak through and strangle it,
but the Horta just laughs it off. We have no idea why it is flourishing so-
it's planted next to the garage, in ratty soil with various bits of
neighborhood history in it (I understand from Regina that when she had the
backyard dug up and new grass planted, there was all kings of misc bits of
broken glass, etc- typical stuff you dig up on a city lot). But the Horta
likes it there, apparently. If I didn't know better, I'd say Hagrid had
been back there with his pink umbrella, giving the Horta some
'encouragement'... ;-D)

'Lainie
"The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those
who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have
little."    ­ Franklin Delano Roosevelt