[Sca-cooks] Roysonys of courance

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 28 17:15:09 PST 2006

I am guessing this has already been answered, but...

"Sharon Gordon" <gordonse at one.net>
>A post on another list reminded me to ask about
>Roysonys of courance.
>
>I've been told these are
>1) Currants, probably black ones

Nope, if you mean fresh.

>2) Dried black and/or maybe red currants

Apparently that can't be done (she says, eyeing her bottle of black
currant syrup - made from real currants)

>3) The tiny black currant grapes that look rather like currants

Getting warmer...

>4) Dried versions of the tiny black currant grapes that look rather
>like currants

Ta-dah! (aka Zante currants)

>How do you know what to use when?

The original name can be modernized into Raisins of Corinth. I have
seen fresh Corinth grapes - at CostCo of all places - and they are
quite tiny (i guess these are the grapes formerly known as Zante).
These tiny grapes are dried into what are generally called currants,
meaning dried "currants" (since the real currants - which are
currants when fresh and come in "black" and red - cannot be dried).

So to be clear, you want dried Corinth grapes which are sold as
currants along with other dried fruit.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita