[Sca-cooks] Period apple types

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 23:17:09 PST 2006

Hrothny asked:

Food content: When baking apples for desserts, which type do you prefer?
While I think that Granny Smiths are the tastiest, I know they are
modern.
Since I eat them and Royal Delicious almost exclusively, I am unfamiliar
with the tastes and advantages of other strains. (Of course, this is
assuming that I can *find* whatever anyone recommends, but our
commissary has a wide selection so I'm hoping.)
<<<

You might want to take a look at these files in the FOOD-FRUITS
section of the Florilegium because there are some messages which list
period and near period apple types. Some of these are available.
fruits-msg       (108K)  6/13/04    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes.
Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (72K)  9/ 8/02    Period apples and apple recipes.

There are some places on the web where you can order these unusual
apples. I've considered doing so, so I could see what other apples
taste like. Unfortunately, when I've looked at the site(s), it has
been out of season and most of the apples, were gone. I just can't
remember to look there at the right time.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com