[Sca-cooks] squill????

elisabetta at klotz.org elisabetta at klotz.org
Thu Jan 5 08:20:37 PST 2006

Between arranging 12th Night troll, planning a huge sotielie (we
decided against
marzipan and will be using decorated cookies for the figures instead and I am
preparing to bake the base- 4 12x18 cakes), being sick, and holiday madness, I
took a break and used one of my gifts- and barnes and noble gift card. And of
course I bought 3 cookbooks (nothing medeival- Hawaiian, regional
southwestern/Mexican, and Italian) and a biography of Robert the Bruce. The
first of the books came last night.

It is the English version of "Venetian and North-East Regional Cooking".
(http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=8e3fmLqCD9&isbn=8847607531&itm=1)

And they have recipes using "squill". It looks like a crawfish and
lobster had a
kid. It's white with pink markings, but I'm not sure if that's the
color before
of after cooking. I looked up squill online, and it says it is an herb. It may
be a translation issue--they use "prawn" and "scampi" for shrimp.

So what is this thing?

It's an interesting book, lots of food I would never eat since I don't eat
shellfish, eel or organ meats. The desserts do look good though.

Thanks!

:)
Elisabetta

PS- I finally learned the secret chestnut meat stuffing recipe, which I will
send along as soon as I write it up.