[Sca-cooks] mutton VS. lamb

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 05:18:50 PST 2006

David Friedman/Duke Cariadoc said:
> We also tend
> to do mutton recipes with lamb, mutton not being
> that readily
> available.
> --
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

Respected friend:
Unless you are buying your lamb from a slaughterhouse,
the chances are better than 95% that you aren't eating
actual lamb.
Supermarket lamb is about six months old at slaughter.
Until the 1920s or so, such meat was labeled "young
mutton". Lamb was originally  an animal under three
months old. At that age, the flavor is so mild that a
fat-free piece can't always be identified as lamb in a
taste test, even by professional chefs.
(This is one of my hobby-horses - when names stay the
same but the object they're talking about changes.
Purple carrots, anyone?

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict