[Sca-cooks] Theater, roasts and historic serving

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 20:30:09 PST 2006

> > From: Pat <mordonna22 at yahoo.com>
(In reference to my post)
> ISTR that servers in livery are either very late
> period, or out of period entirely.
Full armorial livery, I agree; it's both late and
rare. But originally, 'livery' meant 'provided
clothing that came with the job', not a full
clone-gang thing. We've had good results just from
giving everyone matching caps and armbands (and asking
them to wear tunics); cost maybe ten bucks.
>   I agree about good theater, and I think we need
> more of it in our feasts.
>   But huge chunks of meat carved at high table were
> not common.  Most of the recipes we have for meat
> tell us to start with a roast, then do things to it.
Of course that's what we have recipes for; plain
roasts of the cook-plunk-carve variety required no
recipe. We do have, however, many varied manuals of
instructions for domestics- and they explain quite
consistantly how 'to carve before the Lord'. You don't
give instructions on how to do something that will
never be done.
There are also plenty of plain roasts in the feast
lists. It simply didn't occur to people to give
instructions for such simple cooking; how many modern
cookbooks give instructions on how to make a
cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast?

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict