[Sca-cooks] Looking for info on mulberries and murrey

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 21:44:51 PST 2006

I got this question this evening from a Florilegium reader.  I can
remember mulberries being discussed here only a little bit and the
only "murrey" which I remember discussing there was the Arabian
condiment "murri" made from rotten/fermented barley.

I'd be interested in seeing any comments anyone has on period use of
mulberries or this murrey. Please remember though to copy her on any
messages on this subject, as she is not on this list.

>      I've got a quick question about something I came across in a
> book called "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention" (by Lee Reich).
> In the section on mulberries, the author says that in medieval
> times, mulberries were used to make something called "murrey",
> which he described as a pudding or a sauce for meats.  When I tried
> to look for a recipe for murrey (on the Internet), all I could find
> was the description of murrey as a color in heraldry, not as a food
> at all.
>      Can you shed some light on this for me please?  Thanks so much.
>
> In service,
> Lady Corinna Lionwynde
> (mka Sylvia Shults)
> pompeii100 at yahoo.com

In her reply to me, giving permission to post her message to this
list, she also mentioned an interest in making cheese and said she
had made 5 gallons of apple cider vinegar! I've never felt daring
enough to make more than a gallon of mead at one time, myself.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com