[Sca-cooks] Unger, "Beer in the Middle Ages"

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 18 05:37:47 PST 2006

A book of interest to brewers/brewsters (have I got that right?) here and
on other lists.  I'll send the entire review to any who are interested.

Sandra

****

Subject: BMR: Unger, Beer in the Middle Ages (Nicholas)
(from TMR 06.01.15)

Unger, Richard W. <i>Beer in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance</i>.
Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004. 22
illustrations, 12 tables. Pp. xvii + 319. $45.00 (hb). ISBN 0-8122-
3795-1.

Reviewed by David Nicholas, Clemson University, dmnicholas at nctv.com.

This book extends to a more general level the themes of Unger's A History
of Brewing in Holland, 900-1900: Economy, Technology, and the State
(Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2001). He has used Belgian and Dutch archives and the
Public Record Office, as well as printed documents, literary, iconographic,
and anthropological material, and the substantial secondary literature.
  <major snip>
Although his topic imposes a north European focus, Unger makes regional
comparisons. This is an important book, going beyond what is usually found
in a synthesis. His analysis has important implications for the nature and
comparative development of technology diffusion and social and industrial
organization, as well as more obviously local and interregional trade. This
work can accordingly be read with profit by persons who dislike beer,
although enjoyment of it is enhanced by an appreciation of Unger's
meticulous expositions about ingredients and taste.

The BMCR website (http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/) contains a complete and
searchable archive of BMCR reviews since our first issue in 1990. It also
contains information about subscribing and unsubscribing from the service.