[Sca-cooks] cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 20 00:30:12 PST 2006

Honour/Alisond asked:

There are also plenty of plain roasts in the feast
lists. It simply didn't occur to people to give
instructions for such simple cooking; how many modern
cookbooks give instructions on how to make a
cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast?
<<<

Good question. I don't think we have uncovered any 20th C. cookbooks
which do, even the old style actually printed on wood pulp paper and
bound. Many authorities do suggest though that only a little juice
was added to the cold-cereal at first, and then the rest was added
throughout the meal, in order to keep this cold-cereal from getting
soggy. Although there may have been one type of cold-cereal, called
something like "Captn Crunch" which was processed in such a way as
not to get soggy. There was also the now discredited theory that milk
was actually used occasionally on these cold-cereals, despite the
large numbers of lactose intolerant people who existed then.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com