[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 32, Issue 62

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 14:38:48 PST 2006

Respected friends:
<johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] cold-cereal-and-juice
> breakfast
>
> No, I am sorry, but actually there are examples in
> cookbooks
> of recipes or instructions that dictate or suggest
> how cold cereal and milk
> should be served. Check out any number of juvenile
> cookbooks.
> Check out more modern cookbooks that talk about
> health and
> balanced diets. Also check out the "breakfast"
> cookbooks.
> There are printed instructios/recipes for cold
> cereal mixes, what to
> add to cold cereal (decorate with bananas, etc.),
> benefits of low
> fat milk versus whole milk etc. These all can be
> found in modern cookbooks.
> Cold cereal and milk can be found in cookbooks,
>
> Johnnae
> still very behind in e-mails

Of my 50+ cookbooks, I found _none_ that said "Put
cereal in a bowl, pour milk onto it, eat it with a
spoon". None.
For the level of cook who used a cookbook  before the
printing press came in, instructions for plain roast
meat would be exactly equivalent to the above.
However, I will agree that your peripheral
instructions certainly do exist, in perhaps as many as
1/10th of one percent of all cookbooks now in
existence.
So suppose in period cookbooks even ten times that
percentage included 'how to cook a roast'. What would
the chances be that any of that one per cent would
survive into the present day?

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict