[Sca-cooks] cold-cereal-and-juice

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 14:25:40 PST 2006

Respected friends:

> > From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
(Quoting me) "how many
> modern
> cookbooks give instructions on how to make a
> cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast?"
> <<<
>
> Good question. I don't think we have uncovered any
> 20th C. cookbooks
> which do, even the old style actually printed on
> wood pulp paper and
> bound. Many authorities do suggest though that only
> a little juice
> was added to the cold-cereal at first, and then the
> rest was added
> throughout the meal, in order to keep this
> cold-cereal from getting
> soggy. Although there may have been one type of
> cold-cereal, called
> something like "Captn Crunch" which was processed in
> such a way as
> not to get soggy. There was also the now discredited
> theory that milk
> was actually used occasionally on these
> cold-cereals, despite the
> large numbers of lactose intolerant people who
> existed then.
>
> Stefan
> --------
> THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Kingdom of Ansteorra
>     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
Sir:
Despite the lack of direct evidence of milk being used
with cold-cereal, my son informs me that he has in his
collection of antique book facsimiles a partial copy
of a "Tom Swift" novel, containing a clear description
of the young hero pouring milk on his cold-cereal.
Since the Tom Swift character is presented as very
intelligent, this does not, in my opinion, represent
aberrent behavior. And lest you point out that these
books could not be reality based because they show a
"teenager" as an inventor, I beg leave to remind you
that Science was simple enough in those lost golden
years to be a subject of common study even in day-care
centers (see Montessori).

Honour Horne-Jaruk, researcher, Chronoguard central