[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks] cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 22 00:09:28 PST 2006

Bear commented:

We could have a discussion on whether the picture constitutes a
primary or secondary source.
<<<

first, I'd have to say that such pictures would have to be considered
a secondary source. After all, I don't remember too many foods that
ever resemble those pictures once prepared, whether cereal or
something else.

Secondly, even when I follow the printed instructions, the result
usually doesn't resemble the pictures. Somehow, I just never end up
with the sliced fruit or whatever in the picture. Somehow that just
always seems to get left out of my box...

Lastly, There are a few period recipes which have pictures. And we
spent quite a long time discussing how to interpret the picture in
one of them. :-) For those who only joined this list in the last few
years:
cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cuskynoles-msg.html

Oh, I'm not sure that everyone realized that my post which started
this thread was written in jest and was meant as satire. As a
reminder of how the future might regard our times especially if what
survives is fragmentary. I forgot to add the "Copyright 2855" or some
such.

 > Does the picture on every box count as "printed instructions"?
 >
 > Part of your nutritious breakfast,
 > Selene C.

Stefan
--------