[Sca-cooks] Roast instructions was cold-cereal-and-juice breakfast

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jan 23 07:11:05 PST 2006

The one manuscript in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery
also includes roast recipes. See pages 75, 76, etc.
Dating for that mss. is reckoned at 1580-1625.

Of course we could all just return to C. B. Hieatt's 1980 article
"The Roast, Or Boiled Beef of Old England" and read what she has to say on
the subject. She found that while the French had roasted beef
recipes, the English generally did not record as many in the 13th-15th
centuries.
There are any number of roasted bird and pork recipes, however.

Johnnae