[Sca-cooks] OP: The Future of Food documentary

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Mon Jan 23 06:41:23 PST 2006

I know there are at least a few people here who would be interested in
this.  :)

The documentary "The Future of Food" will be shown at Bryn Mawr College
in Bryn Mawr, PA next Sunday, January 29 at 3:30, with a panel
discussion at 5 pm.  The cost is $15.  Reservations for seats can be
sent to capha at capha.org, or at 610-640-2788.

 From http://www.thefutureoffood.com/synopsis.htm:

"THE FUTURE OF FOOD offers an in-depth investigation into the disturbing
truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that
have quietly filled U.S. grocery store shelves for the past decade.

>From the prairies of Saskatchewan, Canada to the fields of Oaxaca,
Mexico, this film gives a voice to farmers whose lives and livelihoods
have been negatively impacted by this new technology. The health
implications, government policies and push towards globalization are all
part of the reason why many people are alarmed by the introduction of
genetically altered crops into our food supply.

Shot on location in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, THE FUTURE OF FOOD
examines the complex web of market and political forces that are
changing what we eat as huge multinational corporations seek to control
the world's food system. The film also explores alternatives to
large-scale industrial agriculture, placing organic and sustainable
agriculture as real solutions to the farm crisis today."

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf