[Sca-cooks] Cleftlands Event Subtleties

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 30 06:12:37 PST 2006

Greetings!  This past Saturday, 28 January, the Barony of the Cleftlands
(Cleveland, Ohio) held a feast with and above-the-salt section which
received some wonderful subtleties and other delightful dishes.  The feast
was headed by Baroness Angharad and many of the subtleties were prepared by
Master Aiden.  He took pictures of them and I've asked if he'd post them on
a web site so I can send you all the link.  So, in no particular order...

1.  A helmeted cock astride a roasted salmon.  I didn't see this up close
since it was carved at a table across the room, but it looked great.  Cock
was complete with lance.
2.  A sugar paste egg which sat on top of a bowl of rice and diced chicken.
The server whacked the top of the egg, cracking it open, to reveal a
roasted quail in the center with four hard-boiled quail eggs around the
bird.
3.  Pommes dorees - meat balls stuffed with apples and apples stuffed with
meat ball.
4.  A sugar paste bowl, painted and decorated, containing sugar paste
lozenges (painted) and painted marzipan.  The piece I had was a medieval
boar, painted.  Aiden made his own mold with Sculpy.

I asked him about using Sculpy since previous discussion on one list or
another had indicated that Sculpy was not usable for food items.  His
opinion was that just pressing in an item and removing it right away would
not make the item inedible.  I'd like commentary, if you please, since
that's my feeling as well.  I can't imagine that Sculpy would be so "toxic"
that using it as a mold where an item was pressed in and immediately
removed would cause the item to be unfoodworthy.  I wouldn't see baking in
a Sculpy mold, but pressing???

The feast itself was admirable... superb, exquisite, wonderful, gut-busting
in plentitude but that's for a different post!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/