[Sca-cooks] Cleftlands Event Subtleties

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 30 20:15:35 PST 2006

Elise Fleming wrote:

>I asked him about using Sculpy since previous discussion on one list or
>another had indicated that Sculpy was not usable for food items.  His
>opinion was that just pressing in an item and removing it right away would
>not make the item inedible.  I'd like commentary, if you please, since
>that's my feeling as well.  I can't imagine that Sculpy would be so "toxic"
>that using it as a mold where an item was pressed in and immediately
>removed would cause the item to be unfoodworthy.  I wouldn't see baking in
>a Sculpy mold, but pressing???
>

>Alys Katharine

I use a Sculpy mold (and a couple of pottery ones) to make my marzipan
peach pits.  To the best of my knowledge, no one has died yet.  Sculpy
is labelled non-toxic, and though I wouldn't use it for a coffee mug, I
don't thiink that brief contact with food is hazardous.

I found a link to a material safety study at the manufacturer's website:
http://www.sculpey.com/Products/PR_ACMI.htm

I am not a chemist or any kind of medical professional -- perhaps
someone with better qualifications could take a look at this and comment?

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net