[Sca-cooks] Limes

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 11:35:30 PST 2006

On 1/1/06 2:53 AM, "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Giano asked:
>>>>
> A friend has been kind enough to give me two crates full of limes
> left over from the Mother of All Caipirinha Parties.
> <<<
>
> What's a "Caipirinha" Party?

Caipirinha is a cocktail which used to be Brazil's greatest secret but is
now very popular in many cities.  I first tried one at the Picanha, the
Brazilian BBQ in Beautiful Downtown Burbank with the pretty pretty
meat-boys.  Here's a recipe:  <http://www.maria-brazil.org/caipirinha.htm>

1 lime
2 ounces of cachaça
Sugar to taste
Ice cubes

Wash the lime and roll it on the board to loosen the juices. Cut the lime
into pieces and place them in a glass. Sprinkle with the sugar and crush the
pieces (pulp side up) with a pestle. (We have a long, wooden one from
Brazil, made specifically for this purpose.) Just enough to release the
juice, otherwise it'll get bitter. Add the cachaça and stir to mix. Add the
ice and stir again. It is delicious and potent!

You can also make a pitcher of caipirinha. Figure out how many people and
multiply amounts. If you can't find cachaça where you live, use a good
vodka. The drink will then be called caipiroshka. No vodka? Use white rum
and you will have a caipiríssima.  Caipirinhas made with sake are all the
rage in Rio now! Try one...

> Including this one:
>>>>>
> From "The Illustrated History of French Cuisine" by Christian Guy,
> 1962 L of
> C Cat Number 62-15020.  The most whimsical/outragous reference found
> for use
> of limes in period beverages.
>
> Sir Edward Kennelís Punch
> 80 casks of brandy
> 9 casks of water
> 20,000 large limes
> 80 pints of lemon juice
> 13 quintals (1,300 pounds) of Lisbon sugar,
> 5 pounds of nutmeg
> 1 huge cask of Malaga wine (approximately equal to 100 regular casks
> at a
> guess)

That looks worth trying, suitably scaled-down of course.  And it's period by
about 2 months.  Boo-Yah!  Take That, Pentathalon Judges!!!!!

[I'm not being disrespectful really.  I =am= a Penthalon judge who can take
a joke.]

>> Moreach writes:
>>> I once read somewhere that there is some evidence that Renaissance
> women
>>> used cervical caps made from half a lime rind, which lime
> "essence" is a
>>> decent spermicide.
>
> The half a box that you said you have left might be enough for this,
> though.
>
> Stefan

Changing the acid balance in the, um, environment indeed works as detailed
in the work of Dr. Landrum Shettles, OB/GYN and author of HOW TO CHOOSE THE
SEX OF YOUR BABY, who incidentally delivered my little brother [my mother
denies that she was part of his research group, but still one must wonder].
He endorsed the use of lemon juice or vinegar to acidify the environment,
lime juice surely would work.

Guino said that they had issues with chemicals on the outsides and that is
why he didn't want to do candied lime peels.  Not this girl, bubbeleh!

Selene Colfox