[Sca-cooks] celery dishes and ravioli makers and stuffed pasta

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 1 15:02:55 PST 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> So what is a "celery dish"? Is this a dish shaped like celery? Or a
> special dish for serving celery? If the latter, what is it like?

It is an elongated dish that's usually used to serve celery.

> So what does a ravioli maker do for you? The pasta roller rolls the
> pasta out to a uniform shape, but what does the ravioli maker add to
> that which isn't just as easy doing by hand? You lay out one sheet of
> pasta, put scoops of filling on the pasta, then drape with another
> sheet and squeeze the sheets together between the filling, right?

This has a "hopper" that you insert between the two sheets of pasta, and
includes a scoop for spooning in the filling.  Then as your roll it
further, it "smushes" the two layers together and scores them for
separation.  So it kind of does everything in one step...and another
advantage, I guess, is that the raviolis are more uniform in size...and
have a nifty "rick-rack" edge.

> What types of stuffed pasta are there? I can think of ravioli and
> manicotti, but are there more?

There are many different kinds of stuffing for pastas...Mistress
Helewyse showed us, among others a wonderful fried ravioli filled with
marzipan...and Dame Hauviette and I are working on a Middle Eastern
version of this called (?? sp) lausinage for a feast I'm doing in February.

Kiri