[Sca-cooks] Stupid cook tricks

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 18:39:18 PST 2006

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Kind of reminds me of the time I picked up a container with powdery
> white stuff to thicken a beef stew.  Couldn't figure out why it wasn't
> thickening...turns out it was confectioners sugar...I'd forgotten to
> label the container!  Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!  Sweet...very sweet...beef
> stew!
>
> Kiri

Oh, dear.  What did you do?  My first inclination, depending on the
other ingredients, would be to add some vinegar and turn it into a
sweet-sour dish.  I'm fond of that flavor combination, which shows up in
so many period reciipes, especially in the Middle East and Southern Europe.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net