[Sca-cooks] Stupid cook tricks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jan 1 15:55:55 PST 2006

On Jan 1, 2006, at 6:43 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Robin wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, it can be a mistake to do several tasks
>> simultaneously.  I decided to get a start on roasting chicken
>> pieces for dayboard.  I put the chicken in the pan. brushed it
>> with olive oil, and sprinkled it with some salt from a little bowl
>> that I'd set aside for bread-baking.  It wasn't until I decided.
>> to have a piece for lunch that I realized my mistake: I'd
>> sprinkled the chicken with sugar that I'd set aside for marzipan.
>> I'd glad I only roasted half the package.
>>
>> Back to the bread...
>>
> Kind of reminds me of the time I picked up a container with powdery
> white stuff to thicken a beef stew.  Couldn't figure out why it
> wasn't thickening...turns out it was confectioners sugar...I'd
> forgotten to label the container!  Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!
> Sweet...very sweet...beef stew!

Long-time members of this list will remember the tale of the batch of
brownies I made with the unlabeled canister of flour, which were
wonderful in all respects but for the peculiar garlic aroma and
flavor... it turned out the label had fallen off my wife's canister
of seasoned Cantonese deep-frying batter mix.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04