[Sca-cooks] Uses for tamarind paste???

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 1 21:37:56 PST 2006

Paste, definitely.  I've seen the whole fruit (pods?) in cellophane packages
in areas with a higher Hispanic concentration than we've got.
It's a dark color (probably dark brown), and not an opaque color--more than
anything, it looks like a thickish brick of fruit leather, or one of the
period fruit pastes I've made over the years (like black and white quince
pastes, for instance).  It's even relatively pliable.
I don't think it's completely uniform in texture--I could see a few
lighter-colored flecks in there, about the same way the lighter-colored
inside of a date shows against the darker brown outsides.
I've never had jaggery, I don't think, or seen it for sale (will try your
suggestion with the house "brown sugar," though ;o).  We have one Indian-ish
restaurant in town that makes some pretty good, uhm, "interprative" (is that
a word? do I want interpretative???) curries, all vegetarian, and I think
I've seen tamarind show up as an ingredient in a couple of their
sauces/chutnies, but I don't remember if the one, lone Indian sub-continent
cookbook I've got mentions it.
--Maire, in a mood to play with someone's food ;-D