[Sca-cooks] Bread for 'trenchers'

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 2 12:02:04 PST 2006

> I suspect that at least for the first few times I will still need to  use
> something under the trencher, at least until I see how much seeps
> through, but this could be a wooden plate about the same size or  slightly
> smaller than the trencher. Perhaps even something of plastic  since the
> trencher would hide it.

Just remember that except for the heels, slices of a coffee can loaf won't
have a crust.  Putting something under them is a good idea.

> However, a 3 pound coffee can would make a loaf of a size and a  weight
> which I wouldn't expect to find in my bread baking info.
>
> For this 2 lb. loaf would you want to use the baking time given for a  2
> lb loaf? Or a bit longer because of the round, fat shape? Or would  you
> use a lower temperature for a longer time? What about if I'm  working from
> the recipe for a 1 or 1 1/2 pound loaf? I'm assuming  rectangular or round
> loaves for the original directions, rather than  a long, thinner loaf like
> "French" bread.
>
> Thanks,
>    Stefan

A three pound coffee can has a little more volume than a 2 lb loaf pan, but
the exposed surface is smaller which contains and channels the expansion.
The can needs to be greased (I recommend solid vegetable shortening) before
putting in the dough.

Weight is not the issue, mass to surface area is.  A basic bread of flour,
water, yeast and salt formed into one or two pound loaves will bake in about
40-45 minutes at 425 degrees F, so don't worry too much about shape and
weight.  The thermal differences between silver and a black baking tins will
cause more variation in baking than size and weight of the loaves.
Temperature and time differences are more critical for loaves enriched with
fats or sugars, because they are easier to burn, underbake, or overbake.

Small loaves like rolls or odd shaped loaves like baguettes having less mass
to surface area are also more likely to take less time or special
temperature handling.  For example, the true French baguette goes into a
450-500 degree oven with steam to produce the aeration and crust for an
initial period then the temperature is dropped to 350 degrees F and the
baguette is allowed to finish baking in declining heat.

BTW, most breads are baked at an internal temperature of around 210 degrees
F.

Bear