[Sca-cooks] OOP: FoodSaver question

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Tue Jan 3 22:07:35 PST 2006

> I recently bought a FoodSaver vacuum-sealer, and like it very much.
> The instructions say to arrange food in a single layer in the bag.
>  Is this really necessary?  I know it will freeze and defrost more
> quickly in a single layer, but is there any other consideration?
>  The bag material is kinda pricey.  If it matters, I am packaging
> chicken pieces (roasted and chiilled).
>
> --
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Just that you don't want it too thick, since with chicken, particularly raw
chicken, the outside can start to ge bad before the inside is thawed. What
I'd suggest you do, is seperate layers of food with a double layer of foil or
plastic wrap. That way, you can seperate the layers to thaw, and avoid that
problem. Also, being thinner, they'll thaw faster.

Phlip