[Sca-cooks] Pondering done-ness for bread types

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 4 06:06:09 PST 2006

I haven't seen any studies on it, but I think you will find that
highly-enriched sweet doughs tend not to form a thick crust and lose
moisture at a faster rate than regular doughs.  I also think you will find
that the higher ratio of sugar to fat, the more likely the bread will be
dry.  Fats tend to add softness giving the appearance of moistness, sugars
tend to bond with moisture.

Enriched doughs tend to be baked between 300 and 375 degrees F with a few
going to 400 or 425 degrees F.  As a generalization, the harder the dough,
the higher the temperature.  For their standard sweet dough, the CIA uses
380 degrees F with 20 minutes for small bake goods, 45 minutes with larger
loaves, although I suggest you take this comment with a grain of salt as it
is based on a comparison of only a few of their recipes.  Accurate oven
temperatures are critical when baking highly-enriched doughs.

Enriched loaves won't give you a hollow thump when tapped, the crust is too
flexible.  The best way to test the loaf interior is with a probe.   I use a
very narrow bladed sharp knife to reduce damage to the crust, but a cake
tester or your toothpick is just fine.

So, when yah gonna post the Vasilopita recipe?

Bear