[Sca-cooks] Pondering done-ness for bread types

Jeff Elder scholari at verizon.net
Wed Jan 4 01:27:12 PST 2006

Recently made a few loaves of Vasilopita, the Greek New Years bread.
Up to this loaf I have been leery of any bread incorporating lots of sugar,
and eggs.
They always seem to dry to me, although I think I am part Raccoon, like to
have lots of liquids with my meals.

On these loaves rather than baking them like bread for the hollow thump or
the 190 to 200 internal temperature, I just tested them like cakes, using a
big toothpick to test for doneness after I had a nice golden brownness on
the tops.  They were not dry to me at all and I was quite pleased with them.
And they were much cooler in the center than I would have taken regular
simple bread out of the oven.  I think they were about 150 to 160 degrees
Fahrenheit.  Cant remember exactly at this point, and I can't say as they
had a hollow sound at all when I tapped them

Any one have observances or insights on this?

Now it is time to take a truly beautiful whole wheat loaf out of the oven,
which I am truly pleased with, the best yet!

Simon Hondy
"Cum Omni humilitate faciant ipsas artes"
"Let them practice their art with all humility"
  -St. Benedict