[Sca-cooks] OOP: FoodSaver question

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 4 11:08:25 PST 2006

My 5 years' experience has led me to all sorts of trials and even a
refurbishment of my unit.  I wore it out.  I have successfully packaged 2
layers of product, separated by plastic wrap double layer.  I mostly did
ground beef patties, bulk beef and raw chicken breast in layers.  Keys to
watch for are even thickness and bag size.  Since the machine has to grip
the bag in its vacuum chamber, and you NEVER EVER want to get liquid into
the pump motor, your bag needs to be big enough to do the food and protect
the unit.

BTW, I make my bags big enough for 2 to 4 uses.  I rinse thoroughly when
emptied, and run in top rack of dishwasher without the heated dry.  They
work good for 3 times, usually, before getting too soft.  I just cut top
edges very even when opening.  When bag gets smaller, I use for smaller
things.  Too expensive for one use and dispose.

niccolo difrancesco
(I washed my bags before bag washing was cool)