[Sca-cooks] Oh Dear...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 4 19:57:43 PST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 7:46 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>> At 04:21 PM 1/4/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>> Either we have a peculiarly incompetent reporter, or someone(s)
>>> in SCA in
>>> Alabama need edumacated....
>>>
>>> http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/
>>> 1136369738300310.x
>>> ml&coll=1
>>

>> I had no idea that the Renaissance ran from 1100 to 1200. Who knew?
>

> Well, I have heard people who know more about the period than I did
> refer to the "Twelfth-century Reanaissance", and there are
> certainly some books available on the subject.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/
> 104-2213985-3635155?url=index%3Dblended&field-keywords=twelfth
> +century+renaissance&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
>
> Perhaps this is what they are referring to.

Could be, but I doubt such a reference from someone who serves potato
wedges in a remove as an example of a medieval feast represents
someone who knows more about the period than you ;-).

>> Mostly that story was just sad. Sounded like a pretty shoddy deal
>> to me. Anyone know anything about the local branch?
>
> I thought it sounded mostly OK. I mean, obviously some bits were
> wildly inaccurate (ie potatoes for dinner), but in general I didn't
> think it seemed "sad" or "shoddy".

It was a little low on the expectations meter, compared to what a lot
of SCAdians are used to, but nowhere did it say, unless I read too
quickly and inaccurately, that these people were SCAdians. Unless I'm
mistaken, it said the group, when its members are older, look forward
to working with the SCA on future events. It seems pretty obvious
that their current focus is a little different from most SCAdians',
and it's not especially fair, IMO, to blame the SCA's local group for
this.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782