[Sca-cooks] If you have the brass...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 23:10:44 PST 2006

Amra asked:

Has anyone had any luck with a food-grade clear coating over brass
tableware (NOT cookware!)? Lacquered / varnished / polyurethaned?
<<<

I believe I did, before I gave up on brass tableware. I don't
remember what I used though. The problem was that it flaked off and
didn't stand up to the knives and forks.

I do know that I tried clear fingernail polish on the brass
"furniture" on my first sword. It also tended to chip off. Since
then, I've learned that brass was a rather unlikely to be used for
the furniture (the guard, quillions etc) of a medieval sword since
they would be more susceptible to being broken off when hit by a
blade than if they were made of iron/steel.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com