[Sca-cooks] Vasilopita

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 6 06:11:11 PST 2006

> Weihnachtstollen, is it the one that takes a month of soaking butter into
> the bread after it is baked?

Nah, you don't need to add butter, unless you screw up the baking and turned
it into fruit and sugar laden hardtack.  Although, I sometimes wonder what a
few days in an airtight container wrapped in a rum soaked towel might do to
it

> Father Dominic's Biscuit Stollen I do as I never remember a month before
> Christmas to begin baking.
> I suspect it would make a fabulous biscotti also.  Always better when you
> have to knead and shape the dough with buttered hands!
>
> With the Vasilopita the fun was boiling the spices, makes the house
> wonderful, I left the remaining liquid to simmer a little after wards just
> to scent the air.
>
> Simon Hondy

I haven't tried the Biscuit Stollen.  I don't make stollen very often (to
rich for my waistline) and when I do its usually the Weihnachtstollen to a
recipe my Mom got in Germany from Anna Grossam.

Bear