[Sca-cooks] Baker's percentage

Jeff Elder scholari at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 13:51:46 PST 2006

Baker percentage is a way of indicating the ingredients quantity when making
bread. Contrary to the usual way of expressing percentages, the total does
not add up to 100.

All the ingredients are measured by their weight compared to the flour's.
Thus, the flour accounts always for 100% and all the other ingredients make
the total higher than 100. For example, if a recipe calls for 10 pounds of
flour and 5 pounds of water, the corresponding percentages will be 100% and
50%.

The main advantage of this formulation is that it allows an easy comparison
of various recipes.

(sounds like I know what I am talking about!)  I got this brief description
from Wikipedia.

Bread, doughnut, cakes, recipes like that can be broken down to a formula,
each ingredient being a percentage of the total weight of the flour.  Thus
scalability is easily allowed with the recipe.  (And why I think of baking
as a science, not an art)

Simon Hondy
"Cum Omni humilitate
faciant ipsas artes"