[Sca-cooks] Immersion blenders

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 8 06:45:38 PST 2006

Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2006 15:32 schrieb Sandra Kisner:
> >FYI, back when, I was intrigued by a demo of an immersion blender where
> >the fellow made mayo in the cup that comes with it.  Haven't done that but
> >I can still picture the speed and ease with which the emulsion was
> >created.  And again, way easy clean up unlike a blender.
>
> Actually, I think there are blenders where the bottom screws off, making
> clean-up quite easy.  I don't have one, however, and haven't actually
> *seen* one, so I can't actually prove they exist.  :-)   But I admit
> immersion blenders sound wonderful.  Someday....

I've just come back from a feast kitchen I ran (sanity intact, for a given
value of 'intact') and I can vouch for the wonderfulness of immersion
blenders. Good ones, that is.

First of all, the front end *has* to detach, otherwise cleanup is a nightmare.
Secondly, it is also a good idea if you can unscrew the blades, even if you
don't have alternative toolsets for beating eggs or such (which the high-end
ones offer, and which are actually good). Thirdly, in this field, wattage
counts.

I have a cheapo one (about ten bucks at the time) that I bought for mixing my
paints and glues. You can never get it properly clean, and if you want to mix
anything too thick it just gives up and overheatsd in no time at all.
Basically, it will combine pigment and medium OK and can do milkshake, as
long as the fruit is soft.

At site, we had a 600-watt immersion blender which worked brilliantly at
pureeing dry egg yolks. Faster and better than passing them through a sieve,
and no liquid added.

And the lunch kitchen has one that looked more like a jackhammer. I don't
recall the wattage, but it pureed a 20-liter (5-gallon) pot of cabbage soup
to a creamy consistency in under two minutes.

So, they are good if you shell out real money.

Giano