[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 10 21:30:08 PST 2006

Ahh.

I tend to go with 1527 and the end of the Mexican Conquest or 1528 and
Cortez's return to Spain.  Cortez, IIRC, burned his ships at Vera Cruz after
landing his men in Mexico in 1519.  The earliest probable date for a tomato
in Europe would be 1521 (as Grewe suggests) after Cortez captured Panfilo
Narvaez and presumably gained control of the transports that delivered
Narvaez's men to Mexico.

The Cox article appears to be accurate and correct, but his arguments are
based on the genetics and the natural history of the tomato.  He does not
look at the culinary history, so his arguments and comments about culinary
uses are open to question.  Grewe's article deals more with the culinary
history.

The key question is not "When did tomatoes arrive in Europe?" but "When did
tomatoes come into common use in Spanish kitchens?"  Arrival and use are two
seperate issues.  Grewe suggests that they were a common foodstuff by
mid-17th Century.  Considering Gerard, it may be possible to push that back
to 1596 or 1597.  I tend to think that tomatoes may have been a taste
acquired by Conquistadors, that slowly became a common food in Spain and
spread at a slower rate than turkeys or maize.  So your 1600 date is as good
as any for their general introduction into paella..

Bear