[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 11 08:56:39 PST 2006

Interesting speculation, but no real supporting facts.

Tomatoes were probably used locally by people who had acquired the taste,
but there is no real evidsence of general use in Spain prior to the 17th
Century.

Paella is the Valencian version of the Latin patella or frying pan, so the
name does not describe what is being prepared, but the pan it is prepared
in.  There are recipes for paella without tomatoes and there is no clear
description of the Renaissance version of paella.  There is no evidence that
paella contained tomatoes prior to the first reference to such, which
appears to be after 1600.

Grewe references a couple of books that might prove interesting, but they
are 17th Century.  You might check Grewe's collection online at the
University of Barcelona to see if you can find an early reference to paella
with tomatoes to at least set a base date for the dish.

Bear