[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes( Philip)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 09:44:05 PST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Micheal wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "marilyn traber 011221"
> <phlip at 99main.com>

I'm inclined to agree with Phlip here, at least on the logical side
of things (although I think in general, we _all_ need to drink more
Scotch and get less tense). You're trying to learn as much as you can
about paella, as far as I can tell, but once we address the
prevailing view that it is named for the cooking vessel, and not the
rice, that opens up the distinct possibility that the early
references you've found aren't going to be what we moderns are
expecting to find. H*ll, that puts even rice in question, so why
would questioning tomatoes come as a surprise?

Bottom line, and I say this with respect, this is your project, and
Phlip was advising caution in the face of possible leaps of logic.
It's no skin off her nose if you want to ignore those, but she's also
not obligated to take anything up with the tourist board of Valencia.
If you, on the other hand, choose to believe them when they make a
claim like this, there need to be certain caveats included in your
own claims; why you think what they say makes sense, or you don't
support the claim, or whatever. Those are pretty much part of
standard rules for this kind of research.

It kind of sucks to be a responsible academic, sometimes ;-).

Adamantius