[Sca-cooks] lentils

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 12:14:16 PST 2006

"Lonnie D. Harvel" <ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
>I have picked up a bag of dried lentils. I have enjoyed them many times,
>but never prepared them. Recipes? Suggestions?
>
>Aoghann

That depends entirely on which kind of lentils you got.

The split orange ones?
The greenish-brown ones?
French Green?
"Black Caviar" lentils?
Some other kind?

They all take different amounts of time to cook and need different
amounts of water and have different flavors.

Personally,

I put the lentils with the appropriate amount of water in a big pot
and bring to a boil (appropriate amount varies with type of lentils).
If it's a type that need more cooking, i'll let them cook for 15
minutes before adding vegetables. If the shorter cooking type, i add
vegetables from the beginning.

I often add broth concentrate (my preferred brand is "Better Than
Bouillon") with the water (it's a goo in a jar - the jar's not cheap,
but it's is actually cheaper per serving than cubes and tastes
infinitely better)

You could also add miso instead of broth concentrate. Be sure to stir
well to dissolve and distribute evenly.

If you're a meaty kind of person, beef, lamb, pork (in almost any
incarnation - ham, bacon, sausage, etc.) - and meaty bones - would be
good added from the beginning - and you might give the broth
concentrate or miso a pass.

I add large chunks of carrots and any other hearty vegetables that
appeal to me - potatoes, kohlrabi, celery root/celeriac, turnips,
rutabagas, parsnips, fennel bulb, etc. Winter squash would also be
good. These go in either at the start or 15 minutes into cooking,
depending on the type of lentils. If needed i add more water.

Other good additions are greens, such as spinach, mustard greens,
collard greens, turnip greens, beet greens, radish leaves, kale,
chard, etc. If you like cabbage, it would work too. For something
really tender like fresh spinach or beet greens or radish leaves, i'd
add them a few minutes before serving. For tougher greens (like
collards), be sure to get rid of the stalks and veins, chop as finely
as you like, and cook with the root vegetables for a long time so
they get all silky.

For seasoning, besides salty broth, and depending on my taste, i tend
to add Near Eastern/South Asian spices - coriander, cumin, chili,
turmeric (optional), etc. If i'm feeling particularly lazy, i just
add commercial hot curry powder. You could make it more "European" by
adding none of those spices, and using a selection of fresh or dried
herbs instead, such as thyme, marjoram, tarragon, savory, dill, etc.,
and if you like fennel, caraway, celery, or dill seeds.

If you are adding a limited number of seasonings, you could include saffron.

I like tofu, and it can be added about 15 minutes before the lentils
are ready to serve.

While the vegetables are cooking, I slice or chop some onions and fry
in butter or olive oil until they begin to brown or to caramelize
(depending on my patience and how hot my fire is). I often add these
shortly before serving or put them on top of each serving, cuz i like
fried onions.

How long you cook depends on how you like your lentils. The orange
kind get mushy relatively quickly, which is really not a problem. The
greenish-brown are next quickest to cook, but tend to hold firmer
than the orange. French take a bit longer, as do the "Black Caviar"
lentils. If you want them soft, cook longer, adding a little more
water, if necessary.

When the lentils are done, if you like you can stir in a sufficient
splash of balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar. Other vinegars are not
as nice, although malt vinegar might be good here.

I like soy sauce, what can i say, as i eat my bowl (usually a good
quality Tamari).

Another good add-in is lots of *good quality* yogurt (the kind
*without* gums and thickeners). Or sour cream, or cottage cheese, or
even ricotta.

Or grated cheese - almost any kind works - havarti, teleme, munster,
cheddar, monterey jack, parmesan and other similar hard dry cheeses -
stirred into the hot soup.

This is just my wing-it lentil soup-stew. There are more
sophisticated recipes...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita