[Sca-cooks] Cream sauces

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 13 17:23:26 PST 2006

The term courge appears in texts in relation to gourds and squash, so it has
been used as a general term for both.  I assume the source for Vitha's
recipe makes the connection between butternut squash and Raviolis de Courge.
The confusion between the bottle gourds and the squashes shows in a number
of languages, because of their similarity and the fact the better-tasting
squashes simply assimulated the gourds position in the kitchen.  (Bloody New
World Borg.)

Lagenaria is a genus rather than a species, specifically bottle gourds.
Cucurbita is the genus for squashes.  Lagenaria and Cucurbita are both
members of the family, Cucurbitaceae, which also contains the genera,
Cucumis (cucumbers and possibly some melons), Citrullus (watermelon and some
other melons), and Luffa (luffas).

Lagenaria are found in both the Pre-Columbian New and Old Worlds, but the
current opinion is the New World Lagenaria are accidental transplants from
Africa due to ocean drift or migrating birds.

Bear