Squashes&gourds placed next to each other (was: Re: [Sca-cooks] Creamsauces)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 13 19:18:33 PST 2006

Bottle gourds and squashes should be okay.  You usually don't get
cross-breeding between genera.

A few years ago I found a paper on cross-breeding between species of squash.
As I recall, the two species with the most genetic divergence won't
cross-breed, but everything else has a probability of cross-breeding
dependent on the degree of divergence.  Unfortunately, when I tried to
locate the paper again, I couldn't find it.  It's one I would like to add to
my notes.

Bear