[Sca-cooks] Pork leg shank?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jan 16 17:10:07 PST 2006

Terri Morgan wrote:

>I just learned that the HUGE pork leg shank (I think that's what it is -
>it's not labelled) that was donated for our upcoming event is probably not
>cured. I've never cooked an uncured pork shank, especially not one bigger
>than a 25lb turkey. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Yum!  OK, a simple method is:

Score the skin well, rub the shank with salt and sprinkle it with pepper
and mace, and put it in a roasting pan.  Roast at 450F for fifteen
minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 and continue roasting 'til done,
basting occasionally.   Serve on a plate.  (actually, it's especially
good with cameline sauce or freshly-made sauerkraut).

--
Adele de Maisieres

Book now for Canterbury Faire
http://sg.sca.org.nz/cf.htm